Published on April 15th, 2013 | by Quad Safari0
Quad Bike Maintenance Tips
Regardless of the type of quad bike you own, you must ensure that you undertake regular maintenance. A poorly maintained quad bike can be very dangerous. Follow our tips on quad bike maintenance, listed below:
Firstly, you may like to determine how regularly this maintenance needs to take place. This will depend on the make of quad bike, what it is used for, and how often you use it. The best way to determine this is to ask the manufacturer, or individual who you purchased it from.
- Wear protective clothing – The last think you need is irritated skin, caused by direct contact with a number of cleaning / maintenance products. Latex gloves are perfect for protecting your hands.
- Drain the oil – You should try to drain your quad bike’s existing oil, so that you can replace it with clean oil. One tip is to warm the quad bike up before hand, making it easier to drain the oil. If you bike has an oil filter, try to change that too.
- Remove the fuel tank and clean the filter – This will allow you to get to the top of the engine. Make sure that you don’t forget to turn the fuel tap off and disconnect the fuel line before doing to – otherwise fuel may start to leak out, or you could cause damage to the bike.
- Take the spark plugs out – this should be a nice brown colour. If it is very dark, then your fuel mixture is too rich; too pale and it is too lean. Your bike will simply need tuning to resolve any issues here.
- Clean your air filter – There are a number of different types of air filter, so always make sure that you check your manual to find out which type you have, and tips on how to clean it.
- Clean away any dirt at the top of your carburetor.
These tips are useful when carrying out routine maintenance or cleaning. For full, in-depth suggestions on quad bike cleaning and maintenance, refer to your bike manual or contact your manufacturer.